TWELVE DAYS by Reese Mobley

Trying to pick out a favorite holiday memory would be like trying to pick out a favorite child. Impossible. I love them all equally—although usually not at the same time. Each of my Christmas memories are a bundle of good and bad, bittersweet and sugary sweet. From the memorable Christmas mornings when I was a kid to each holiday we welcomed a new baby or grandbaby into our lives all the way to the first Christmases spent without the ones we love.

Life is good like that. So, feeling blessed beyond belief, I did what every reasonably normal person does when feeling nostalgic. I took liberties and composed a song. Feel free to sing along as I present my revised version of The Twelve Days of Christmas.

On the First day of Christmas, my true love gave to me a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, four reams of paper, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, five gold Rita’s, four reams of paper, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, six ink cartridges, five gold Rita’s, four reams of paper, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, seven new plot lines, six ink cartridges, five gold Rita’s, four reams of paper, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, eight hours of quiet, seven new plot lines, six ink cartridges, five gold Rita’s, four reams of paper, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the sau-rrr-us.

On the Ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, nine muses dancing, eight hours of quiet, seven new plot lines, six ink cartridges, five gold Rita’s, four reams of paper, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, ten go-od pag-es, nine muses dancing, eight hours of quiet, seven new plot lines, six ink cartridges, five gold Rita’s, four reams of paper, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, eleven extra days ‘till deadline, ten go-od pag-es, nine muses dancing, eight hours of quiet, seven new plot lines, six ink cartridges, five gold Rita’s, four reams of paper, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

On the Twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, twelve Godiva Chocolates, eleven extra days ‘till deadline, ten go-od pag-es, nine muses dancing, eight hours of quiet, seven new plot lines, six ink cartridges, five gold Rita’s, four reams of paper, three back rubs, two mocha lattes and a new-ew the-sau-rrr-us.

Merry Christmas!

Hugs, Reese

21 comments:

Jan said...

That was a perfect song for every writer. Are you sure Nashville doesn't need you??

Reese Mobley said...

I'm holding our for Hollywood! XOXO

Rox Delaney said...

Hey, I just want your true love!

Rox Delaney said...

LOVE IT, REESE!!!!! (in case you didn't notice.)

Once upon a time, years ago when the kids were small, I re-wrote A Visit From St. Nicholas aka 'Twas the Night Before Christmas to fit my family and sent it as a Christmas card. I wish I could find a copy of it, because I've never been able to duplicate it.

Reese Mobley said...

Thanks, Rox. I'll ask hubby if he's available to rent.

I would love to read your version of Twas the Night Before Christmas. I'll bet it was a big hit. XOXO

Rox Delaney said...

LOL Well, I seem to remember something in it about flying whipped cream. It might be best if it's never found. (grin)

I'll just enjoy your song, instead. :)

Reese Mobley said...

Flying whipped cream? I want to party at your house! lol

Jessica Mobley said...

Very nice mommy! Creative as always my dear. Love you soooooo much!!

Reese Mobley said...

Right back atcha, Kiddo! XOXO

Judy Darnell said...

Reese,
Very cleaver. I can understand why you writers can relate to this.
Keep up the good work.
Judy D

Reese Mobley said...

Thanks for stopping by Judy! Hope to see you soon.

Melissa Robbins said...

This is awesome, Reese!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! And so true. All I want for Christmas is reams of paper and bound journals and pens, pens, pens.

Reese Mobley said...

Thanks, Melissa. I was really stumped on what to write this month so, if in doubt, go a little nuts. Hey, it's who I am. lol

Reese Mobley said...

Towriteistowrite, our lists look the same. Cool!

Joan Vincent said...

Reese--I love it too and second all of the above, What a wit--thanks for the chuckles!

Reese Mobley said...

Thanks, Joan!

Kaye George said...

Cute song! Thanks for sharing it. I think I'd like your true love, too!

Reese Mobley said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kaye. I'm beginning to think I should rent my true love out! Hmmm, I wonder if I should charge by the hour or by the gift. LOL

Nina Sipes said...

Well, I see what everyone's raving about. How witty and wonderful.
A keeper for sure.

Starla Kaye said...

Wonderfully written! I used to write different versions of the famous song as well. Always great fun.