Why I Do What I Do by Reese Mobley

I began writing seriously (grin) in the third grade. We were assigned the task of writing a short story. I did mine then I wrote stories for half of the girls and all of the cute boys I like-liked. As far as I know, the teacher never found out about the massive cheating scandal. And the boys, well they never realized I like-liked them—they were just happy to have someone else do their work.

I was a Nancy Drew fan. To me there was nothing better than curling up on my bed and reading the adventures of Nancy and Ned and the perils they found themselves in. It was during my ND phase that I wrote a short story about a man who almost dies trying to get home to his family. It was full of tension, drama and lots of exclamation points!

My parents were so proud.

I pretty much traded my pen and paper for a spatula after I married and began raising a family. There was little time for writing with the diaper changing, cookie baking, and time spent hauling three kids to all their activities. I did, however, continue to read—just not romance. I read Sidney Sheldon, Mary Higgins Clark, Sandra Brown and Stephen King. Many years later, I picked up my first Harlequin out of a box in my mom’s garage. A paperback with a questionable cover and yellowing pages that reeked of smoke. It made me gag. Not from the smell but because it was awful. I thought I could do better.

I couldn’t. But then I tried again and it didn’t suck quite as bad. The third and fourth manuscripts I completed finaled in a few contests. One of them is sitting on an agent’s desk right now waiting for a thumbs up. Or not.

The road to publication has been harder and longer than I ever imagined. I’ve considered quitting more times than I can remember. But I don’t. Because I know my dream will never come true if I stop writing—probably the only sure thing in this business.

Hugs, Reese

11 comments:

Jessica Mobley said...

cheatVery nice trip down memory lane momma! I'm sure the agent will call you with good news any day now! You are amazing! Love you!

Reese Mobley said...

Thanks, Jess. Keep those positive thoughts out there! XOXO

Pat Davids said...

The third grade?

Really?

You like-liked boys in the third grade? I was pretty much still beating up boys in the third grade. Wow, I had no idea how deep the romantic spark runs in you.

I'd love to read some of those stories. I'll bet they were awesome. Everything else you write is.

Reese Mobley said...

Pat, you were raised with brothers and I had an older sister. What can I say? I was a third grade trollop. lol

Joan Vincent said...

I started writing regencies because of an awful one I read. Different things spark for different writers and the fact that you've never given up shows you've plenty of things that continue to spark and prod you to write. Your writing always make me smile, chuckle and at times let lose a guffaw. I can't wait until I get to read your first published book.

Reese Mobley said...

Thanks Joan. This has been a long journey--and it isn't over yet.

Rox Delaney said...

Priceless!!

Reese Mobley said...

Thanks Rox! You rock!

Starla Kaye said...

It seems like so many writers talk about starting their writing career around third grade, when most of us really started writing that made any kind of sense.

You shameless hussy...like-liking boys in third grade! Okay, I had the first "love of my life" about then. Such a hunk! Well, my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Maybe he wasn't.

Nina Sipes said...

Reese,
Your writing is publishable and better than others I've read, though I've only seen snippets. If you're not published soon, it is the business, not the writing.

Penny Rader said...

You crack me up, Reese! Can't wait till your books are available and we can hold them in our hands and stay up all night reading them.

Third-grade trollop. Too funny.