The value of friends


I almost forgot to blog today. Yesterday was my cousin's funeral. I had to hurry home afterwards because my hubby needed an MRI of his brain. Long story short. It was a lovely funeral and the MRI had to be postponed. All of this got me thinking about my friends.


My husband is my best friend. He's been that for as long as I've known him, even during those times when I wanted to part his hair with a frying pan. My daugher, too, has become a dear friend after some rocky years as a teenager.


My cousin Kay was a childhood friend. That's not a picture of us, but I wish I had one like it. We drifted apart over our married lives, but when we reconnected during her illness, it was as if those years were only a long weekend and we were laughing and giggling like girls again. How funny that we can pick up a friendship right where we put it down. It's one of the magical things about having friends. I know when I meet Kay in heaven it will be exactly the same. All giggles and joy and none of the sorrow that touches us here.


My WARA friends mean the world to me, too. Reese and I joined at the same time. I won't say how many years ago that was, but I value her friendship today as I did in the begining. Roxann was there to mentor me at the start and I can't thank her enough. Starla, too, shared her wisdom with a newbie in the early years. All these people, and many more, (you know who you are), have been friends to me and my support both in and outside of my career. I want to thank all of you for that.


So tell me about your friends. What's your best friend's name? How did you meet? What's the best way to say thanks for being my friend.

2 comments:

Reese Mobley said...

Thanks for sharing the love. You too have been my mentor and best friend from the beginning.

Seriously, who has more fun than us? Ding Ding? Ants? Twins?

Remember dancing with me when you got the call from your agent? My kids thought we'd lost our marbles but I was so thrilled to share that moment with you.

I'm blessed with many friends and family members and I treasure them all.

Nina Sipes said...

WARA is my writerly friends of whom I cannot be without. Friends are important, oh how right you are.