Instinct

With writing inspiration, creative sparks, craft techniques and other assorted stuff, I come up dismally short. I don’t use a plotting board. I never know when a turning point is about to show up, and I seldom know my characters life history before I begin. I have no picture boards or books to ignite my imagination. My ability to get from start to finish doesn't fit the instruction manual. I've tried these other methods, but instead of helping, I end up with brain freeze.


I do work at punctuation and grammar, and I did have to learn proper formatting, but those have nothing to do with the creative part of writing a story. I don’t look for inspiration either, it finds me. Whatever goes into my brain eventually comes back out. I write by instinct. That’s what I call it, anyway. My only muse is life.

My current WIP is almost finished. It began with me jotting down my feelings about a motel room I stayed in while visiting my mom’s hometown. The next day I ran into an elderly gentleman on the street who graciously allowed me to take a peek at his 1800 era mansion. I saw another gentleman that same day, much younger and infinitely more handsome, wearing a green work jacket of unknown origin. Those three minor events have spawned one-hundred and twenty-four thousand words.

My first book came from my lifelong love of horse ranching and kids. I've never worked with horses. I've never lived on a ranch, but I've always wanted to. I wrote a novel based on my desire to live that kind of life. I wrote a story about the redemptive power of God’s love in the lives of my characters. I wrote what I know.

The second book I penned is a sequel and there is yet a third to be written. It’s next on my to-do list. Why I decided to start my writing career with a trilogy is beyond me. After that comes a Christian fantasy novel. I have a beginning, and a vague idea of where’s it’s going, but that’s it. Oh, the good guys win, and the guy gets the girl. Does that count as plotting?

I can’t even say where my third novel came from. There is nothing in my life that reflects what my characters go through besides the pain that comes with living, and the fact that God can redeem all. This isn't much help for new writers but it’s all I've got. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!


1 comments:

Penny Rader said...

How cool that you were able to visit a 1800's mansion, Becky. And I love how three separate events combined to inspire a story. Here's to many, many more!

Congrats on having another book nearly completed. Awesome!