While Pat gave a wonderful, thought provoking list of her ideal man, my idea of romance tilts more to the service side of a relationship. Don’t get me wrong, I love roses and Russell—Stover not so much Crowe, but I raised three kids, carted them, their friends and all their paraphernalia to their activities. Every day of their young lives. My kitchen functioned like a full-service cafeteria and my door was always open. While my husband slaved away at his job, I was the stay-at-home mom on the block and I loved it, but let’s be honest, at the end of the day, I was exhausted.
So here, in no specific order, is my list of romantic traits:
1. Getting up with the baby in the middle of the night.
2. Taking that last batch of cookies out of the oven while I finally managed a shower.
3. Unloading the dishwasher without being asked seventeen times.
4. Fixing dinner while I sewed together another Ninja Turtle costume.
5. Dragging the dumpster to the curb. Without being reminded tomorrow is trash day.
6. Killing any and all spiders.
7. Cleaning up the sticky red popsicle trail from the kitchen to the patio.
8. Putting his extra change in my pocket so I could buy a lifesaving Diet Dr. Pepper.
9. Using his Christmas bonus to buy new tires for my car instead of a new rod & reel.
10. Teaching the kids how to throw a football because their mom throws like a girl. :-)
11. Stepping on bugs after I leave the room so I don't have to hear the crunch.
12. Applying Calamine Lotion after a pack of wild chiggers made me the blue plate special.
13. Painting my toenails pink when my pregnant belly got too big for me to see them.
14. Filling my car up with gas when the red needle flirted with empty.
15. Running my car through a wash and spin cycle to remove the bird doo.
16. Inviting my widowed mother to dine out with us.
17. And then picking up the tab.
18. Sharing his slot machine winnings so I could play just a little bit longer.
19. Killing any and all spiders. (Repeat, I know-but so worth a second nod.)
20. Always opening my car door for me.
So there you have it. Any others you'd like to add to the list?