An Historical Journey

I have a dream to hop a train in Chicago and ride to Boston, where I'll begin my journey of history. After Boston, I'll see NYC, Philadelphia, and finally Washington, DC, all by train. Oh, and I won't be traveling alone. My youngest daughter (currently 22) will be with me.

I've been to these places at different times in my life.  My parents enjoyed traveling, and our vacations were usually two weeks of seeing everything there was to see on our way to our destination, at our destination, and on a different route back home again.  I've visited 48 of the 50 states, Canada and Mexico twice, and Havana, Cuba.  If I'm lucky enough to someday travel to Alaska and Hawaii, great!  If not,

I'm okay with that.  And while I went to Boston, Philly, and DC when I was almost too young to remember, and I've been fortunate enough to visit NYC twice and DC a second time, I want to go back.  There are still far too many things that I don't remember seeing, didn't get to see, or have a desire to see again.

Why are these particular places on my list to visit and revisit?  I blame Nick Cage and National Treasure 1 & 2.  Of course they were fiction, but the places the clues in the story took them ignited my interest in early U.S. History.  The movie made them more real to me than reading about them in a history book, and now I want to see them again, now that I know and understand the importance of them.

Sure, sipping Pina Coladas on a beach in Barbados would be wonderful--and I do have a friend who lives there!--or that trip to Greece (especially via cruise ship) or even a cruise in the Bahamas all sound dreamy.  And I sure wouldn't turn down any of them and a hundred other places.  (Pat, I'm keeping that Maine thing in mind. ☺)  Some of those would allow for some time to write or read, but right now a vacation of any length to anywhere sounds heavenly.  I guess I'll have to settle for a trip to Worlds of Fun in a couple of weeks and be happy.  Not that being happy will be hard.   My youngest is going.  So is my oldest, next to oldest, next to youngest and two granddaughters.  I really can't ask for more. ☺

Bon voyage!

6 comments:

Melissa Robbins said...

I want to come along. I LOVE National Treasure. I grew up in DC, so I was surrounded by history. I may have been to a couple of European countries, but you have visited more states than I have.

Reese Mobley said...

Your vacations sound a lot like ours. My dad made sure that we saw anything and everything we could on our two week ventures every summer. Good times!

Rox Delaney said...

Melissa, a trip to Europe--anywhere in Europe--would be divine. I envy you!

Reese, I only wish I could remember half of those places. My dad often said that he spent the early vacations leaning over the front seat into the back to change my diaper. I can't say that I remember that. ;)

Joanie said...

Great post. Makes me want to go on a long history field trip.

Joanie

Joan Vincent said...

National Treasure was a tremendous teaching tool in disguise! Having just got back from DC I can say there never is enough time to see it all. The Botanical Gardens with plants from all 50 states plus is a gorgeous visual feast and I never knew it existed until a tour we went on started there! We stopped at Montpelier (Pres James Madison's home) on the way home but need to go back to see Monticello. So many many places in the US and around the world and so little time!

Penny Rader said...

Can I tag along, too, Rox. Pretty please? And can we swing by Colonial Williamsburg while we're at it?

And I'm tickled there are so many fans of Nic Cage & National Treasure. I hope they make another one.